Software Supervisor and Architect
Are you ready to lead and develop for the implementation of a new Visual Effects Pipeline? Outpost VFX Montreal is offering a rare and unique opportunity!
We are looking for a candidate that can take charge and lead on the development of a new, revamped Pipeline, help evaluate new DCCs and technologies for the company and educate and coach junior and mid-level developers.
As a Technical Lead/Pipeline Architect, you will be leading and collaborating with a cross-site development team in developing and implementing our production toolset. You will also be liaising directly with Product Owners, Stakeholders, Supervisors and Producers to help identify and problem solve solutions that will impact workflows globally.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Work with the Head of VFX and Software Manager to develop a new Pipeline to be used globally within the company.
• Balance your workload between pipeline development and implementation of pipeline modules while coaching the development team and providing invaluable expertise.
• Collaborate – strive to mediate and achieve balance between Development Requests, technical and budgetary limitations and ideas that end users and he Development team might have.
• Use and leverage Agile Scrum software development practices and frameworks throughout the lifespan of all pipeline and software development work.
• Define, communicate and enforce coding and documentation standards across the development team.
• Lead, coach and further evolve our Software Release Cycle, testing platform and processes.
• Improve and maintain existing code to improve quality, reliability, and maintainability.
• Actively participate in code reviews, test new concepts and technologies.
• Find and fix bugs - get to the root of the problem and offer solutions to ensure issues or correctly addressed.
• Proactively test new and existing features to ensure the highest levels of quality.
• In collaboration with the Software Manager, provide strategic, reliable and frequent. communication to the Production team, Product owners, Stakeholders and Artists regarding new products or changes that impact their workflow.
• Mentoring mid and junior developers to maximise the department's output as well as their own skills and interests.
• Update the Software Manager on Pipeline development progress, milestone achievements and blockers every week.
• Minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience in Visual Effects for film, commercials, or 3D feature animation and/or other professional experience in Software Development and/or Entertainment Technology/Digital Media.
• Worked on at least 2-3 major features (live or 3D animation), TV shows or commercials within the last 5 years.
• You are expected to be an expert in industry standard DCCs such as Maya, Nuke, Shotgun, Arnold, Houdini, Katana, etc. and their APIs.
• Sound knowledge of Agile Scrum Development processes and experience working using this framework.
• Complete understanding of a VFX Pipeline for film and television.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and problem-solving abilities.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills with a natural ability to be calm, listen and mediate conflicts and challenges as they arise.
• Masters/Degree in Computer Science, Engineering , Mathematics or a Technical VFX Degree.
• Mastery in Python, PyQt/PySide and MEL script.
• Strong knowledge of C++ is desirable.
• Skilled GUI development in Qt/PyQt/PySide
• Developing for Cloud based services such as AWS and/or Azure
• Experience working with database software (SQL, PostreSQL, etc.)
• Skilled in CI/CD and Agile practices
• Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, and physics/simulation.
• Comfortable working in both a Linux/Windows environment and experienced with developing on both Operating Systems.
• Mindfulness and empathy when leading, while always being a team player.
• Experience using Shotgun and developing for the Shotgun SDK.
• Strong leadership skills with excellent time management and prioritization capabilities.
• Experience with render farm management software such as Deadline.
• Avid interest in technology, digital media and creating images
• Independent problem solver
• Able to share knowledge and techniques with peers
• Participate in creative and technical discussions
• Highly committed, able to work independently and as a team player.
• Enjoy working in a fast paced, constantly evolving workplace
• Have an interest in participating in social events with the team and studio – we also like to have fun!
• Life Time – Uncapped Holiday in line with company policy
• Health Insurance
• Company Pension
• Fantastic company culture in a creative environment
• Excellent location in downtown Montreal within a few minutes’ walk to a metro station
• Montreal, Canada
• Permanent, full-time
• Currently on hold due to Covid-19
• Negotiated, factoring in on experiences, skills and critical achievements
How do I Apply?
• Send a short cover email to: [email protected]
• Include your Cover letter and Resume
• Add the position you are applying for in the subject of the email
All applicants must be eligible to work in Montreal, Quebec at the time of applying, remote work is not possible.
Click here to read our Candidate Data Protection Privacy Notice.
At Outpost we believe that our strength lies in our differences. These help us to take different perspectives, challenge the norm and create a special environment based on mutual respect. Outpost is an equal opportunities employer. Employment with us is based on a person’s extraordinary talent and potential. No candidate will receive any less favourable treatment based on their age, gender, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual preference or any other factor that has no bearing on an individual’s ability to perform their job.